2012 Redsfest

ansaraaj

Premier Member
Credits
What other former Reds attend this? Any from the 80s or 90s aside from Eric and George? Thanks.

In recent years...
1. Benzinger
2. Sabo
3. Lee May
4. Hatcher
5. Browning
6. Brantley

I could go on and on. The list will be announced soon and frequently updated with more players.

docv28

Premier Member
Credits
Thanks for the info. Any Kal Daniels, Rob Dibble, Randy Myers, or Norm Charlton sightings?

ansaraaj

Premier Member
Credits
if anyone can take chapman on jerseys lmk i can either 50/50 or cosign..thanks

Chapman won't be free. Last year, they started auctions for the premium players (Bruce, Votto, Phillips, Cueto, Chapman, Rolen). They sold 25 tickets via auction to the top 25 bidders, and each winning bid was guaranteed 3 of those stars (they were split 3 on Friday and 3 on Saturday) I think they winning bid was about $350 (and 25 people paid this). The same setup seems to be in the plans for this year for those big-name players.

MidSouth Minors

Founding Member
Credits
They also have the lottery picks for the premium players. Got lucky last year and got a ticket for Votto.

Lines were pretty crazy though. There were several lines that had 250 people in line BEFORE the players were announced so it was dumb luck as to who you were going to get.

icee82

Premier Member
Credits
I have attended RedsFest for the past three years and it has gotten more crowded each year. On Friday, it was not as crowded as on Saturday. To me, Friday is the key day and you have to capitalize on every opportunity because Saturday is never as productive. Last year was the first introduction of the Elite Pass. Last year they grouped Votto, Chapman, and Rolen together. I really needed Rolen and Votto so I dropped down over $300 for an elite pass for those three. (Yes, I was one of those people that dropped down the $300..call me crazy) However I plan to purchase another Elite Pass this year so I am crazy twice! Chapman did sign free during the weekend as well but this was the only signing for both Votto and Rolen. The next day it was Cueto, Bruce, and someone else that I have forgotten. As I recall, Bruce signed for free as well during the weekend but I do not think that Cueto signed for free. As the above poster said, there were time that the line already had 250 people before the players were even announced. It really was a like playing Russian Roulette at times. If you have help, it is much better. My wife helped me last year and she stayed in the HOF area both days and she absolutely raked there. Although the lines were long, she was able to get in line early which minimized her time in line. She had tremendous success and got multiples signed in some cases.

As for The Nasty Boys, they had a 1990 Reds reunion year before last at RedsFest and none of those three appeared. Kal Daniels has not been there recently either. Eric Davis will be signing for free but he also has a booth in which he charges a fee for a charitable cause. George Foster signs for free as well but he also has a booth there and he charges. Some times you can get lucky at the Reds Fantasy Camp booth as Doug Flynn signed there last year. My wife just walked up and got him without any line. Ted Power was also in that booth. I had a few cards that I had been unable to get him to sign in Louisville so I raked on him as well. He was just sitting there so I decided to visit for a minute to get my cards signed.

Overall...it is like everything else in life. You have to lucky and plan your strategy. If you do that and stay within your strategy you will do well but if you get frustrated and get away from the plan, you will be quite unsuccessful.

The guys that are always there every year are George Foster, Eric Davis, Jim O'Toole, Chuck Harmon (did not appear last year or at the Reds HOF weekend so I assuming that he has health issues since he lives in Cincinnati), Leo Cardenas, Lee May, Tommy Helms, Wayne Granger, Jim Maloney, Tom Browning, Chris Sabo, Ted Power, Jeff Brantley, Doug Flynn, Clay Carroll, and usually a surprise guest or two. Year before last it was Paul O'Neill and I just happened to hear through the grapevine that he was there and got in line in the Hall of Fame area. That was a great decision as my wife and I both got him. Also CEI Sports has two "paid" autograph guests each year. Last year it was Bobby Tolan and Pat Darcy. Year before it was Joel Youngblood and someone else that I cannot remember. Since Scott Rolen does not have a contract, I would doubt that he appears. I also doubt if Ryan Ludwick will be there unless they sign him and make the announcement before or during RedsFest. Miguel Cairo, Bill Bray, and Wilson Valdez will probably not be there as well since he does not have a contract.

You can also watch the Reds Fantasy Camp booth. You can usually nab Flynn or Power there with no line.

Last edited:

ansaraaj

Premier Member
Credits
fine print says jay bruce will not appear honeymoon but will be on caravan

That's odd. He got married a year ago...uhhh, not that I track when baseball players get married. I just remember him sending it out on Twitter.

Last edited: