Free Agent Workout at Al Lang

BoSoxFan

Lifetime Member
Credits
I saw in the St. Pete times today that one of the Rays scouts, I forgot his name, will be having a free agent workout at Al Lang February 2nd-4th.

kgitch

Lifetime Member
Credits
This sounds like the free agent tryout they have every year in Lakeland for the Tigers....usually in February as well. If it's the same deal, you will not have anyone with cards attending. It's basically former HS and college players that have never played pro ball and is open to anyone that wants to try out.....yeah even if your 40 and your fastball clocks at 50 mph. I went to watch a friend "tryout" and it was about 50 guys (and gals) who are just looking for the chance to say they had a tryout. Over the past 6 years, I think they signed 1 guy.

This could be different, but it sounds very similar.

BoSoxFan

Lifetime Member
Credits
This sounds like the free agent tryout they have every year in Lakeland for the Tigers....usually in February as well. If it's the same deal, you will not have anyone with cards attending. It's basically former HS and college players that have never played pro ball and is open to anyone that wants to try out.....yeah even if your 40 and your fastball clocks at 50 mph. I went to watch a friend "tryout" and it was about 50 guys (and gals) who are just looking for the chance to say they had a tryout. Over the past 6 years, I think they signed 1 guy.

This could be different, but it sounds very similar.

I think it is different. I think it is unsigned free agents, not just a tryout. That's just my impression from the short blurb in the paper. You may be right as well.

warjohn

Lifetime Member
Credits
Here is a little more information that I found:

According to information there, field staff for the showcase will include former big leaguers such as Pat Hentgen, Cecil Fielder, Heathcliff Slocumb, Darnell Coles and Willie Fraser. Rob Ducey hopes the event will draw officials and scouts from major league, international and independent clubs.