alanmoore

Administrator
Staff member
Website
www.sportsgraphing.com
Credits
Kruk highlights 1st Reception
December 6, 2007 by Jason Guarente

The Barnstormers are bringing a baseball tradition to Lancaster, and the team’s first-ever Hot Stove Reception will be the most “Macho” baseball event in the nation. Former Philadelphia Phillies All-Star and current ESPN baseball analyst John Kruk will be the featured speaker at the Lancaster Barnstormers Hot Stove Reception on Wednesday, Jan. 9 at The Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center.

“Hot Stove Receptions have been an off-season baseball tradition for a long time, and I have participated in many throughout my career,” Barnstormers manager Von Hayes said. “I’m excited my first Hot Stove in Lancaster will feature such a prominent voice of the game in John Kruk. And it will be great to see my former Phillies teammate.”

A member of the Phillies from 1989 to 1994, Kruk (photo attached) appeared in three consecutive Major League All-Star Games (1991, 1992 and 1993) and hit .316 as a leader in the Phils’ famed “Macho Row” lineup that captured the National League Pennant in 1993. Kruk went on to hit .348 in the World Series, which the Phillies eventually lost to the Toronto Blue Jays.

Over his 10-year career, Kruk hit an even .300 with 100 home runs and is among the top players in MLB history with a .397 career on base percentage. Kruk retired in 1995, but returned to the bench in 2001 as a hitting coach with the nearby Reading Phillies.

Always a quotable character of the game, Kruk published a book “I Ain’t an Athlete, Lady” in 1994 and soon found his voice as a broadcaster and commentator. He worked for FOX Sports, “The Best Damn Sports Show Period” and local telecasts in Philadelphia before joining ESPN in 2004 as one of the network’s top analysts on its Emmy Award-winning “Baseball Tonight” program. Kruk also writes a column called “Chewing the Fat” on ESPN.com.

“Our Hot Stove Reception will be the premier baseball event of the year in Lancaster County,” Barnstormers general manager Kevin Cummings said. “We’re anxious to show John Kruk what a great baseball town Lancaster has become.”

The Reception will begin with a cocktail hour from 6 to 7 p.m. Dinner will be served at 7 p.m. WGAL sports personality Pat Principe will serve as emcee for the program.

All proceeds from the dinner and a sports memorabilia silent auction will benefit the Lancaster General Cancer Care Program and the Kristen Ann Carr Foundation, which provides grants for cancer research and seeks to improve all aspects of cancer patient life with an emphasis on adolescents and young adults.

Tickets for the Hot Stove Reception are $75 and can be purchased by calling (717) 509-HITS (4487).

GoPhillies23

Founding Member
Website
www.theweighinpodcast.com
Credits
Is there going to be anyone else in attendance at this event?