Gridiron Greats -- Chicago

Pabs82

Premier Member
Credits
Just wondered if anyone from the board is going to the Gridiron Greats event next weekend outside of Chicago?

Prices are pretty reasonable and all of the proceeds go to a good cause. Good amount of football HOFers but not a lot of the big names.

I already ordered a couple Ditkas, Sayers, and Mikitas. Not sure if anyone else is interested.. I could try to get things for people but not sure how the logistics would work. Seeing how I have about 8 autograph tickets for the show, I don't think I'd be able to get too many others but if someone is interested, let me know and I can see if we can make a deal.

The prices listed are for any item -- no additional fee for inscriptions

Player Autograph Price
Bobby Bell $30.00
Elvin Bethea $20.00
Jeff Blake $20.00
LeRoy Butler $50.00
Dave Casper $30.00
Koy Detmer $20.00
Ty Detmer $30.00
Lynn Dickey $25.00
Mike Ditka $50.00
Conrad Dobler $20.00
Carl Eller $25.00
Dan Hampton $20.00
Paul Hornung $40.00
Deacon Jones $40.00
Jim Kiick $20.00
Billy Kilmer $20.00
Ron Kramer $20.00
Dante Lavelli $20.00
Marv Levy $25.00
Mike Lucci $20.00
Gino Marchetti $20.00
Jim Marshall $25.00
Don Maynard $25.00
Steve McMichael $20.00
Stan Mikita $20.00
Bobby Mitchell $35.00
Mercury Morris $20.00
Tom Nowatzke $20.00
Mel Renfro $20.00
Gale Sayers $40.00
Jan Stenerud $20.00
Charley Taylor $25.00
Kyle Turley TBD
Jack Youngblood $35.00
Chris Weinke $30.00
Dave Wilcox $20.00

82brewers

Lifetime Member
Credits
ive gone to this show the last couple of years, when it was called ditkas show. this year is by far the worst list of players they had and the prices have gone up a little. in the past it was a great show to go to and get a bunch of hall of famers all in one day. hopefully the list will be better next year, we usually have 4 us that go, this year 0.

Pabs82

Premier Member
Credits
82BrewCrew,

Who have they had in the past that's not on the list? I know their VIP event has Thurman Thomas, Michael Irvin, and a couple others. I'm going for Ditka, Sayers, and Mikita, possibly Deacon Jones, but I don't recall ever any extremely big time guys. I think they try to keep it affordable which would probably drive away your Namaths, Elways, Marinos, etc.

82brewers

Lifetime Member
Credits
ive gone to everyone except 2 or 3. i only collect guys from 1980 and present, players or coaches. without doing alot of research, i know i got these guys there before that are not there this year

raymond berry
randy white
mike haynes
lawrence taylor
john hannah
harry carson
anthony munoz
eric dickerson
steve largent
rollie fingers (baseball hof)
ed too tall jones (cowboys)
randy cross (49ers)
dwight clark (49ers)

my other friends who also go to this show almost every year, they collect old guys and new guys. they have very little interest in the list. they would like to see art donovan or merlen olson. i know don shula was there one year i didnt go. i guess were just looking for new names. ive gotten ditka there every year ive gone, 2-3 items each year. i know he was $35, then $40, now $50. leroy butler is over priced at $50, and $30 for ty detmer seems high. dan hampton is a good buy at $20, i know he does alot of freebies in chicago area if youve got the time to stand in line. id like to see jim mcmahon there. im sure well go the show again, but not this year.

Pabs82

Premier Member
Credits
Largent, Dickerson, Taylor would be great if they were there. I dont understand the pricing. Hampton is mispriced as he's $15 and he's as abundant as McMichael who is $20. I do recall Fingers being there in years passed and yeah the lineup doesn't really wow. As a Chicagoan, I'm loading up on the guys I have a lot of which would be Ditka, Sayers, and Mikita. I think those are valued pretty well. The rest of the list.. this is a good show if you have a full size HOF helmet and want to get affordable quantity.

greedy19

Lifetime Member
Credits
I believe Shula was at the second Ditka show and I think he was $55. I agree about some of the pricing....$50 for LeRoy Butler? Could the Packers fans need him that bad? Hampton and McMichael do a ton of appearances year-round in the Chicago-land area. I think most of the guys at $20 are decent, compared to what some prices are for some guys at other shows. Do any of you know if photos will be available there?

Last edited:

Pabs82

Premier Member
Credits
Based on what the site says, it sounds like there will be items available for purchase. I haven't gone to the show before so I'm also interested in finding out if they have items there. I'd like to buy a Ditka and/or Sayers jersey but I'd assume they have the standard 8x10s and minis

detroitfan84

Lifetime Member
Credits
I went about 4-5 years ago, and they had several dealer tables with mini helmets and stuff to get signed that you could buy

greedy19

Lifetime Member
Credits
Schwartz Sports had a booth there last year with 8x10's, etc. I was just wondering if anyone knew if any of that will change for this year. Based on what I read, there will be Gridiron Greats balls, hats, etc. there for purchase.

Pabs82

Premier Member
Credits
Hopefully, they have decent items. I don't mind purchasing Gridiron Greats items but I'm bringing things that I wouldnt mind having signed, and if something better is there then I'll do that.

For anyone else that's been there before, is it run like a normal autograph signing with numbered autograph tickets? Also, have people sold out before? They make it sound as if the number of autographs for each will be limited but I don't want to buy any in haste.

Thanks in advance